ProgressLex’s mission is to create and sustain a thriving, diverse and beautiful Lexington that serves all citizens. Specifically, we will foster meaningful citizen participation, improve government transparency and support visionary citywide leadership toward the following ends:
- encouraging downtown design excellence
- promoting smart and sustainable economic development
- advocating for social justice
- pursuing environmental justice
- broadening support for arts & entertainment
For Lexington to reach its full potential, we believe it needs:
- Urban design practices based on principles of sustainability, usability and aesthetics;
- Sustainable and innovative economic development strategies;
- Residents who are treated equally and compassionately regardless of gender, race, creed, sexual orientation or socio-economic status;
- Green spaces that are respected and that preserve the region’s biodiversity and geographic beauty; and,
- A local arts and entertainment scene that is valued and citizens who appreciate how vital they are to the city’s culture and long-term economic well-being.
Further, we believe the keys to achieving these depend upon:
- Our ability to work together as informed, engaged and empowered individuals for the common good;
- Establishing ProgressLex as a 21st-century grassroots organization capable of uniting many voices; and,
- Engaging citizens and working with local leaders to make government more transparent and responsive to community needs.